Document Type : Full Paper
Associate Professor, College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran
Former M.Sc. Student, College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran
Professor, College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran
Instructor, College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran
To investigate the effect of salicylic acid and iron on peach fruit (Prunus persica L. cv. Zaferani) quality, a factorial experiment in a randomized complete block design with four replications was conducted. Salicylic acid solution at four levels 0, 1, 2 and 4 mM and iron sequestrine in concentrations of 0, 5 and 10 mg/L were prepared and sprayed on peach trees in two stages (40 and 80 days after full bloom). After fruits harvesting, total soluble solids, titratable acidity, pH, firmness, fruit weight loss, antioxidant capacity, ethylene production and electrolyte leakage were measured. The results showed that the treatments compare to controls were prevented weight loss, electrolyte leakage and ethylene production and maintain titratable acids, soluble solids content and antioxidant capacity of fruits. Fruit treated with salicylic acid 4 mM and iron 10 mgl-1 were maintained antioxidant capacity and prevented ethylene production, weight loss and electrolyte leakage. The treated fruits eventually retained their quality until the 40th day and on the 60th day any fruits haven't marketable quality.
- Akbudak, B. & Eris, A. (2004). Physical and chemical changes in peaches and nectarines during the modified atmosphere storage. Food Control, 15(4), 307-313.
- Ali, A., Perveen, S., Shah, S. N. M., Zhang, Z., Wahid, F., Shah, M. & Majid, A. (2014). Effect of foliar application of micronutrients on fruit quality of peach. American Journal of Plant, 5, 1258-1264.
- Alvarez-Fernandez A, Grasa R, Abadia A, Sanz, M. & Abadia, J. (2003). Evaluacion agronómica de nuevos quelatos de hierro. Phytoma, 146, 30-36.
- Asghari, M. (2006). Effects of salicylic acid on Selva strawberry fruit, antioxidant activity ethylene production and senescence, fungal contamination and some other quality attributes. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Tehran. (in Farsi)
- Awad, R. M. (2013). Effect of post-harvest salicylic acid treatments on fruit quality of peach cv. "Flordaprince" during cold storage. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 7(7), 920-927.
- Brand-Williams, W., Cuvelier, M. E. & Berset, C. L. W. T. (1995). Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 28(1), 25-30.
- Cheour, F., Willemot, C., Arul, J., Makhlouf, J. & Desjardins, Y., (1991). Postharvest response of two strawberry cultivars to foliar application of CaCl2. HortScience, 26, 1186-1188.
- Davarynejad, G. H., Zarei, M., Nasrabadi, M. E. & Ardakani, E. (2013). Effects of salicylic acid and putrescine on storability, quality attributes and antioxidant activity of plum cv. ‘Santa Rosa’. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 76, 1-10.
- El-Jendoubi, H., Vázquez, S., Calatayud, Á, Vavpetič, P., Vogel-Mikuš, K., Pelicon, P. & Morales, F. (2014). The effects of foliar fertilization with iron sulfate in chlorotic leaves are limited to the treated area. A study with peach trees (Prunus persica L. Batsch) grown in the field and sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) grown in hydroponics. Plant Science, 5, 2-10.
- Emami, M. & Dardipour, E. (2011). Evaluation the nutritional status of iron in peach. 6th national conference of new ideas in agriculture. Khurasegan. Khurasegan Islamic Azad University. (In Farsi)
- Fan, X., Mattheis, J. P. & Fellman, J. K. (1996). Inhibition of apple fruit 1-amino cyclopropane1-carboxylic acid oxidase activity and respiration by acetyl salicylic acid. Journal of Plant Physiology, 149, 469-471.
- Kazemi, M., Hadavi, E. & Hekmati, J. (2011). Role of salicylic acid in decreases of membrane senescence in cut carnation ﬂowers. American Journal of Plant Physiology, 6, 106-112.
- Layne, D. R. & Bassi, D. (2008). The peach: Botany, Production and Uses. (Eds.). CABI. p 614.
- Lu, X., Sun, D., Li, Y., Shi, W. & Sun, G. (2011). Pre- and post-harvest salicylic acid treatments alleviate internal browning and maintain quality of winter pineapple fruit. Scientia Horticulturae, 130, 97-101.
- Luo, Z. & Chen, C. (2011). Effect of salicylic acid treatment on alleviating postharvest chilling injury of ‘Qingnai’ plum fruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 62(2), 115-120.
- McCollum, T. G. & McDonald, R. E. (1991). Electrolyte leakage, respiration and ethylene production as indices of chilling injury in grapefruit. Hort Science, 26, 1191-1192.
- Raskin, I. (1992). Role of salicylic acid in plants. Annual Review. Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology, 43, 439-463.
- Robello, E., Galatro, A. & Puntarulo, S. (2007). Iron role in oxidative metabolism of soybean axes upon growth: effect of iron overload. Plant Science, 172(5), 939-947.
- Romera, F. J., Alcantara, E. & De La Guardia, M. D. (1999). Ethylene production by Fe-deficient roots and its involvement in the regulation of Fe-deficiency stress responses by strategy I plants. Annals of Botany, 83(1), 51-55.
- Sayyari, M. & Ghanbari, F. (2013). Effect of acetyl salicylic acid on quality and chilling resistance of sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) at different storage temperatures. In VII International Postharvest Symposium 1012 (pp. 559-568).
- Sayyari, M., Babalar, M., Kalantari, S., Serrano, M. & Valero, D. (2009). Effect of salicylic acid treatment on reducing chilling injury in stored pomegranates. Postharvest biology and technology, 53(3), 152-154.
- Shafiee, M., Taghavi, T. S. & Babalar, M. (2010). Addition of salicylic acid to nutrient solution combined with postharvest treatments (hot water, salicylic acid, and calcium dipping) improved postharvest fruit quality of strawberry. Scientia Horticulturae, 124(1), 40-45.
- Soto-Zamora, G., Yahia, E.M., Brecht, J.K. & Gardea, A., (2005). Effects of postharvest hot air treatments on the quality and antioxidant levels in tomato fruit. LWT, 38, 657-663.
- Srivastava, M. K. & Dwivedi, U. N. (2000). Delayed ripening of banana fruit by salicylic acid. Plant Science, 158(1), 87-96.
- Tareen, M. J., Abbasi, N. A. & Hafiz, I. A. (2012). Postharvest application of salicylic acid enhanced antioxidant enzyme activity and maintained quality of peach cv. ‘Flordaking’ fruit during storage. Scientia Horticulturae, 142, 221-228.
- Valero, D., Díaz-Mula, H. M., Zapata, P. J., Castillo, S., Guillén, F. & Martinez-Romero, D. (2011). Postharvest treatments with salicylic acid, acetylsalicylic acid or oxalic acid delayed ripening and enhanced bioactive compounds and antioxidant capacity in sweet cherry. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 59, 5483-5489.
- Zhang, Y., Chen, K. S., Chen, Q. J., Zhang, S. L. & Ren, Y. P. (2003). Effects of acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) and ethylene treatments on ripening and softening of postharvest kiwifruit. Acta Botanica Sinica, 45(12), 1447-1452.